Wednesday, December 12, 2012

What's Cuter Than a Second Grader?


What's cuter than a second grader?  Eighty-eight second graders, eager and ready to learn.  What a joy-full afternoon!  I was invited to South Main Street School in Pleasantville, NJ to collect 88 cards from the second graders who had so lovingly made them and their teachers who thoughtfully guided them.

I took along books and pictures to share. They were appropriately curious and excited about new discoveries.  Their little bodies squirmed and wiggled like mine does when the energy to see and take it all in is just too much to contain.  They shared with each other generously even when their turn to hold on to the picture seemed too short, and they wanted just one more minute.

One of my hopes is that some of my favorite books become some of their favorites.  You've got to go pretty far to beat the artwork of award-winning artist, Kadir Nelson, and so "We Are the Ship" takes a front row seat.   Although the text is a reach for a second grader, the illustrations captivate any age!






Also sitting front row is this gem...  Perfect for kiddos!


Leagues Apart is a little harder to find, especially in hardcover. Former New Yorker illustrator did a great job with this award winner.

But back to the kids.  I'm sure they were all that could have filled a heart broken by a torn rotator cuff.  Because a teacher is what he really was. Not necessarily in how we see or image them to, but as THEY really are.  TEACHERS teach in every moment of their lives and in aspects of their lives.  They explore each moment as a "teachable moment" and live as if someone is always watching.  Because "someone" always is.
I'm reminded of that each time I walk into a classroom.  I am reminded each time I share his story in ways his humility would never allow him.  In ways that none of the "true" heroes would. 

I'm reminded of our heroes, especially the men and women of the Negro Leagues whenever I see I child searching for a path to follow, a story that could be theirs.  When I see children, our children looking for a hero that looks and lives as they do, I share the missing stories of their history.  Because in those stories, they can find themselves and know how rich their lives are and what a powerful legacy they have inherited.

And on those days...    I am fulfilled! 









1 comment:

Dee J. said...

the work you are doing is wonderful. It is a truth that when you touch a child, you touch the future. Knowing this, I salute you for reaching out to children and inspiring them with stories of our history.