Tuesday, November 12, 2013

My Sons... My Daughter



My thirty-three year old nephew posted this picture on his facebook page the other day along with this comment:
"This picture used to be in my house growing up. I really liked it then and I still do now. Shout out to the Pooh Bears in my life."
I have four nephews...sons.  They are gifts from my three siblings.  I gifted them with a niece...a daughter.  They are warm, loving, sensitive individuals...all of them.  They are responsible.  They are kind and caring.  They were the light in their grandparent's eyes.  They continue to make mine shine.  They give generous, unpretentious hugs and never leave me without pressing their soft warm lips upon my cheeks and reassuring me of their love.  They provide friendship and support to one another and have a strong understanding of what the word "family" means.  They struggle.  They work every day to meet mortgage and car payments and all the other financial obligations that come with daily life.  Like all of us, they try to make sense of their lives in this world on a daily basis.

I have four...sons.  They are gifts from my three siblings.  I gifted them with a daughter.  And, I cannot understand how it is reasonable for anyone to believe they are a physical threat to the extent that they would do them harm, physically, emotionally or spiritually.  But that is the argument which has been raised everywhere from the streets of New York City by the New York City Police Department, to a string of homicides from Trayvon Martin to  Sean Bell to Jonathan Kerrick to Renisha McBride. That is the argument they have been confronted with on vehicular stops.  That is the argument when they have been frisked in front of their dates. The argument is that by the very nature of their physical attributes--young, black with commanding physical presence--it is "reasonable" to believe they are a threat to society, should be viewed with suspicion, and handled accordingly.

I have four sons and a daughter...precious gifts.  And, everyday I pray for their survival and that their steps be guided and guarded.



No comments: