Tuesday, June 25, 2013

We Interrupt this Program for The Real Gone With the Wind Fabulous

It was my intention last week to have a conversation here about the wonderful time that I had at the SABR conference in Newark last week, time slipped away.  I will attend to that sooner rather than later but I just really have got to get this off my chest.  PAULA DEEN!!!

Now I must confess I have never been a fan.   The itch for me started somewhere during the long, long fought battle between Smithfield Tar Heel plant and it's employees who sought to unionize.
“I’m here to tell you that Smithfield Foods ordered me to fire employees who supported the union and that the company told me it was either my job or theirs,’’ Sherri Buffkin told the U.S. Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions Committee in 2002. “I’m here because Smithfield Foods asked me to lie on an affidavit and made me choose between my job and telling the truth. I’m here today to tell you how Smithfield Foods sought out and punished employees because they were union supporters, and that the company remained true to its word that it would stop at nothing to keep the union out.”  (source Center for Immigration Studies
"When workers seek to organize to protect themselves, meatpacking companies use tactics of fear, intimidation and interference to block union organizing efforts. For example, Smithfield Foods fired union supporters and threatened to close its massive hog slaughtering plant in Tar Heel, N.C., when workers there tried to form a union. Company police have targeted union supporters for harassment, arrests and beatings. Some of these violations of workers' organizing rights go back eight years, but National Labor Relations Board remedies have not been enforced." (source Human Rights Watch)
 Paula Deen was hired to promote Smithfield products.  Her stated reason for "partnering" with Smithfield was because "it shared my family values and traditions."  At that time, Paula Deen's cooking demonstrations and public appearances became the target of picketers and activist working on behalf of Smithfield Tar Heel plant workers.  Towards the end of her Diane Rehm (NPR) interview in 2007 about a new book, Diane could not resist questioning her about conditions at Smithfield.  Ms Deen demurred (I love that word.) "I have no particular expertise in these (labor) matters. I only have expertise in how ham tastes, and how it is processed." I must add that she stated this not once but several times, like a mantra.  The hook, the trigger for me was when she was asked if now that this was brought to her attention, would she speak to the company.  What would she do?  Ms Deen again demurred, "I have no particular expertise in these matters."  I must add here that Paula Deen is well, Paula Deen.  She has a warm and engaging way of pulling you in (my heart warms and attaches), but then she pisses me off!  If you can stomach it, the interview can be found at:  Diane Rehm: "Christmas with Paula Deen".  Again you need to be able to listen to the entire interview, don't partition or take components out of context.

 Paula Deen continued to represent and market Smithfield products never intervening in any area where she had no "expertise".  The United Church of Christ passed resolutions urging congregates to pay attention to what was happening here.  The DC Food Blog reported that cities of Boston, Chicago and Sommerville among others passed resolutions calling for removal of products produced in the Tar Heel plant.  (source)  And, Paula herself was petitioned to intervene. But she continued to represent Smithfield.  "...(she) had not expertise in these matters." That is until yesterday when Smithfield products decided that she had to go.

The next itch was a little more recent and further illuminates her incredible hypocrisy.  Now I don't have diabetes (or as my people would call it "the sugar"), but sympathize with those who do AND have eating habits that could lead me there.  Paula Deen was diagnosed with T2 diabetes 3 years before she outed herself and ONLY after obtaining a $6 million "partnership agreement" with Norvo Nordisk the Danish company that produces the drug Victoza.  I also don't normally reference things from FOX News. This excerpt from an interview conducted during that time with Donna Shaft, a marketing consultant struggling with T2 diabetis during that time is pretty telling--so today I will make an exception.
“We of course don't know the terms of her contract with the drug company, but it seems either stupid or hypocritical of them to be endorsing the eating lifestyle she advocates. For her to publicly facilitate the illusion that a T2 can consume the quantities of fats and carbs and sugars she showcases, even occasionally, is nothing short of a dangerous abuse of the trust many in her audience place in her as an influential public figure.” (source)
 Which brings us to the latest Lisa T. Jackson v. Paula Deen, Paula Deen Enterprises, LLC; The Lady & Sons, LLC; The Lady Enterprises, Inc.; Earl W. "Bubba" Heirs; and Uncle Bubba's Seafood and Oyster House, Inc.  I find legal documents interesting.  I also like to read statements in context.  This particular document has been referenced quite a bit in the news and blogs.  I read it.  I was/am disgusted., but I am not surprised.  Here's where you can find the entire document: Deposition Lisa T. Jackson v. Paula Deen et al


This is why I'm not surprised--GONE WITH THE WIND.  Did you see it?  Remember Scarlet?  "I'll never be hungry again."  Remember Rhett's line: "With enough courage, you can do without a reputation."  Remember Scarlet,  please Rhett don't leave me.   Didn't see it?  You must, or just watch as it plays it before our eyes. Paula does the BEST Scarlet ever!  And the rest of us...  well we play our parts. I'm not surprised at Paula being Paula.  I'm just surprised at how long it took for it to be noticed...   "Honey".

No comments: